Scottish LEADER programme from Scottish Rural Network
LEADER is a bottom-up method of delivering support to communities for rural development. Grants are awarded by Local Action Groups to projects that support delivery of a Local Development Strategy.
The aim of LEADER is to increase support to local rural community and business networks to build knowledge and skills, and encourage innovation and cooperation in order to tackle local development objectives.
Local Development Strategies include actions that will allow individuals, communities and businesses to:
- drive community action on climate change
- enhance rural services and facilities, including transport initiatives
- enhance natural/cultural heritage, tourism and leisure
- support food and drink initiatives (for example short supply chains, community food)
- build co-operation with other LAGs in Scotland, UK and Europe
- exchange learning and knowledge with each other, realise their potential, build opportunities for all
LEADER is primarily a rural fund – check the Local Development Strategy areas map for eligible areas. LEADER is part of the Scottish Rural Development Programme (SRDP) 2014-20.
For examples of LEADER projects funded in the 2007-2013 programme check out our Case Studies section and ten Case Studies from across Scotland and Europe highlighted at the Scottish LEADER Conference 2014.
More about LEADER
We’ve produced a series of short films showcasing just some of the fantastic projects that received funding in the 2007-13 LEADER programme. Go to our Vimeo Channel to watch them.