Intergenerational proposal for schools
Back in September 2017, GWT developed the first education pilot in Scotland working with two schools in the Perth & Kinross area and is now ready to take on a second partnership to further this learning. The initial pilot involved placing an Intergenerational Development Officer to work within schools to recruit, train and create a programme of activities and projects where older volunteers (32 recruited in year one) could support young people to develop their literacy and numeracy skills.
The Community School of Auchterarder and Perth Grammar School contributed funding from their Pupil Equity Fund to take part in the project which is half way through its second year. GWT is now interested in replicating this project in another area of Scotland and would be interested in hearing from schools who are keen to embed an intergenerational programme into their school with the help of GWT.
Our schools in Perth & Kinross are reporting that there has been a significant impact on their pupil’s confidence, numeracy and literacy levels as a result of the intergenerational programme. Their volunteers are involved in the following weekly and daily activities:
- Story-telling in Nursery
- Paired reading, one to one in both Primary & Secondary
- Writing and reading support in Primary – more challenging texts for advanced readers
- One –to-one, and support for small groups in Math’s classes in Secondary
- Times-tables and number bonds numeracy support in Primary
Other intergenerational activities and projects being set up include:
- Recycling garden furniture (working alongside the local men’s shed)
- Designing and developing a garden
- Growing fruit and vegetables
- Building an Eco shelter out of plastic bottles
- Intergenerational Mentoring
Further details and costings can be found in the information leaflet below.
31st January 2019