Ralston IG Project
Group members jointly agreed how the area could be upgraded and they were supported and assisted by Renfrewshire ‘Green Gym’ volunteers, aged between 13 years of age and 70+ who undertook the physical work.
The work included:
- construction and installation of raised beds
- planting and growing of interesting and ‘sensory’ plants including herbs
- improvement of the perimeter and fenced area with shrubs and climbing plants.
Both groups are enjoying the garden. Support for maintenance continues to be provided by Renfrewshire Green Gym – part of BTCV. It is hoped in the future to include local schools and more groups, including a local allotment group.
- Collaboration, particularly by the staff who supported the groups, including the Renfrewshire Green Gym Coordinator
- The hard work and determination of the Renfrewshire Green Gym volunteers who helped fulfil the plans.
- Support from the local councillor who was actively involved in the project and in terms of widening it to involve more local people.
- a Generations Working Together Micro-grant and a Local Area Committee grant from Renfrewshire Council paid for the materials.
“The transformation in the garden area is incredible. It was fantastic to see the day care centre and playgroup working together with Green Gym to create a community garden. I am looking forward to our open day in the spring when the garden will be in full bloom!” Councillor Susan McDonald, Renfrewshire Council.
“It was a really great project to be involved with. The volunteers enjoyed seeing the garden improvements take place. Hopefully the day centre users and playgroup children will be able to use their outdoor spaces more often as they now have a reason for using them.” Julie Wilson, Renfrewshire Green Gym Coordinator.